Sunday, July 23, 2006

Broken Lcd Monitors for Free

Got a broken lcd monitor for free. It was taken out of service when it started smoking. I asked if I could take it and the reply was "You don't want it, it is going to burst into flames" or something like that. I took it anyway. Upon disassembly, and a rather easy disassembly at that the internals were rather straight forward, 1 Lcd screen assy. 3 circuit boards mounted on the case. The rightmost is the display board, the middle the power supply 12v and 5v, and the rightmost the high voltage inverter for the CCFL (Cold Cathode Florescent Light). The power supply showed some bulging caps and the inverter was burned. I pulled out the inverter and the power supply. They were nice enought to label the connection for the ground, 12v and 5v. I juryrigged a salvaged computer power supply for the 12v and 5 v and the display showed the "no sync" message. It looks like the display works, but no backlight because of the HV inverter. I think I might be able to repurpose something to power it, maybee a Case CCFL inverter. I am still looking into it. If I can get one cheap enought I will try it.



 
 
 
  Posted by Picasa

No comments: