Got a cool looking mower this weekend. From it's speckled red shifting ball to is classy orange color and futuristic Battlestar Galactica styling it is one hip machine. The most appealing part, I got it cheap.
Next I got it home. It works amazingly well, probably better than any craftsman I have had, and that is even with it's 6 hp engine. Yeah, 6 HP! and me at 200lbs. It does only cut a 26" swath but it is pretty fast in the shorter grass in 6th speed. Yeah, it has 6 forward speeds and reverse! The slowest speed is a real creeper, but I could probably skid logs with it. I found out they did have a 40" snow blade accessory for it on the Ariens Parts Radar page.
I got it home and the spark plug was gunked and oiled like crazy, it would huff but not really catch. I was lucky that I had an exact replacement new plug on hand, and once it started, I mowed the whole lawn. It was actually pretty fun to drive, especially after pushing a broken self propelled toro over a 2 acre lawn. The self propelled part was broken, not the mowing part!
Unfortunatly the engine is blowing smoke, I don't know how long it will last but I plan on running it until it dies. And since it runs so good, design wise, I am thinking that it would actually be worth it to get a new motor. Some research turned up that the V60 motor it has is considered by some to be one the best engines that Tecumseh ever made, thus it is discontinued. Also it is old enough that parts are scarce. Maybee an electric conversion would be the way to go. Ahh, I can dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment