Tuesday, September 25, 2007

CD Drive Rover

Completed an idea that I had for a while which revolved around using a cd rom tray that saved from a dead cd-rom. The tray has a drive motor installed on the tray that makes the tray move out and in, and a switch that signalled the processor when the tray was full open or full closed. Anyway I replace the switch with a DPDT switch (with the skillful use of a tacking nail and hot melt glue) to cycle the drawer back and forth as long as power was applied. I added wheels (lego technics are pretty handly) and a bent wire to make a ratcheting pawl to make the wheels only turn in one direction.

This is the battery powered model.



After making sure it worked, I replaced the battery power with solar.
The solar cells kinda overpower the rover but it worked.

No comments: