Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oscilloscope and Salvaged Electronic Stuff

I dug up a oscilloscope I had from a TS last year (or 2) and decided I would at least go through the setup. It is a "vintage" triggered sweep analog scope. I used the internal test signal to get the sweep in the picture.

 

 


I want to make a encoder and in that task decided I should try to learn how to use ir led/opto transistors. I found a couple in my salvage stuff pile. The first unit I tried turned out to be broken. The IR led would not light up. To test the LED I used a baby monitor camera that "sees" in IR.

At first I was going to use my sony camcorder, but when I turned it on to camera the image was severely distorted. A real bummer because it was a nice camcorder.

I found a Sharp GP1L57 (click to see datasheet) which is a "Wide Gap Type Photointeruptor".

 
Posted by Picasa


I also pulled out a printer feed mechanism that has 2 sharp optoswitches. They are nice in that they come with a breakout board and wires. And of course, little blades to block the phototransistor. I worked these into direction changing buttons for the steppermotor.

 



 

 


Put a potentiometer in a case to run the stepper motor speed, the case part worked. Guess what recycled container it was from. I have not gotten it to work right yet. With the new lines to the program the stepper runs much slower. Will puzzle that out next.





Links:

Helpful link on Photointerrupter Switches
http://www.mechablox.com/designfiles/0511df02.html

Oscilloscope Faq
https://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/baict/bac/jf/labs/scope/oscilloscope.html#0.2.VZ5PKZ.GE7BBH.5WMF4D.7D1

No comments: