Sunday, March 23, 2008

Flour Tortillas

I am having a hankering for Mexican food so I spent the last couple hours researching flour tortillas. Makes sense, sort of. We made (Mostly Sarah) corn tortillas last night with steak filling, it was very good. But I started thinking about making flour tortillas, and did a bunch of research.

Apparently not all tortillas and tortilla recipes are the same, they appear to break down into two groups. Texas and Mexican. The Texan ones are leaven and the Mexican generally are not. Rough generalizations and just my first observation from looking at only a few recipes.

I did the calorie calculations on the recipes and found the vegetable oil recipe (Texan) was 134 calorie per tortilla, and the vegetable shortening recipe (Mexican) was 185 calories per.

Here are links to the recipes I am thinking of making:

Texan


Texan and Mexican

No comments: