Sunday, November 23, 2008

gingerbread igloo

Today S wanted to make a gingerbread igloo. There were no plans available so I made a 3d model on CAD, and printed out templates to cut the dough. The first try the cookies got burned, they were too thin for the 12 minute cooking time in the recipe. We tried building it just to make sure it would build. The dome was unsupported and it looked dicey. It didn't work, by the 3rd tier it was collapsing. We (mostly me) ate the less burned pieces and decided to try again. We made internal support ribs and built up on that and it worked okay. By the end of building we decided to frost the whole igloo. As a side note we are developing a feel for what the best consistency of the frosting should be. On the colonial gingerbread house we ran between too thick and too thin, mostly too thin around the windows. As for the igloo, next time we might try making some ginger bread polar bears.

With that done S mentioned that she would like to make a ginger bread lighthouse. I made up a preliminary model, I have not decided if I want to add a "house" to it. I think it kinda looks like a prison guard tower but S thinks it is a good lighthouse. (the CAD jpg is at the bottom)



 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa






No comments: