Monday, September 01, 2008

Vacation Day 3 - Free Boat 1

 

Saturday I saw a free sailboat at a tag sale, I got it today. There is a second one I will go back for tomorrow, I didn't feel good about putting both in the trailer. I should be able to get the second tomorrow. I am really psyched about getting them, it was great timing for some ideas I was spouting off on. I plan on putting bike cranks on it and a paddle wheel. I'll see how it goes. I suggested to S that we could make the Monitor and Merrimack and stage mock battles. She really liked that idea.

The garage task continues, Did a bunch of little stuff. Found a giant set of Allen wrenches and did some tool organizing. Took some pics of the Budweiser Neon Lights and basked for a while in their beautiful magical light. Kidding aside the lights are pretty cool. They really liven up the garage.

 

I set up a temporary stockade fence I can use as a welding screen. I used little eyelets and some salvaged dog chain cut to have hooks in order to hold the fence to some really heavy display stands.

I should be able to have the fence far enough away from the welding that it won't catch on fire, but still work as a screen. There will be a couple fire extinguishers handy though.

 
 
Posted by Picasa


S's monarch butterfly came out of it's chrysalis. She let it go. Later in the day a monarch butterfly came up to me and was hovering around me for about 10 seconds. It seemed improbably that it was the same one, but I can't remember ever having a butterfly hover around me. S also got me around 10 am to go see the hummingbirds, they were really great. There were 3 and for a while they were chasing each other and other birds that were around. I don' know what they were thinking but they sure seemed to feel pretty strongly about it.

 

Started unloading the scrap wood I have in order to organize it and clear out the back of the dodge truck in preparation for chopping it into a trailer. Mostly for the chopping it up part, rather than for the having a trailer part;-) I will have to empty the gas tank and remove it before sparks fly.

Other than that Mom and Tom visited to have lunch and hang out in the afternoon.

Didn't get to do any welding or cutting. S wants me to make a goat weather vane after she had a day(did a demo for her and N yesterday) to mull over what cutting torches are good for I guess. I may try making a goat silhouette on a piece of scrap steel. I told her if she comes up with a good goat silhouette I will cut it.

Overall it was a great day. The weather couldn't be better and got a bunch of stuff done.







 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: