Thursday, May 17, 2007

Cleanout

Got another 30x42 shelf unit in. That makes 2 plus one 12X36 unit. So far it doesn't seem to be really making a dent in the garage. It must be since I can get through it a bit. Unforturnately there isn't enough floor space to set up all the tools I have. I will have to mull that over.

Found my GE welder. What a beast. Now that I have the lincoln arc welder I am not sure if I need it. Now I have a arc welder, a 110v mig, and oxy acetylene. I'm thinking of setting up a covered separate space to do all the flammable things. Forging , welding, eventually set up a foundry.

I am pretty pleased with the Weller WESD51. Actually I never used anything but the crummy radio shack type soldering irons. This is temp controlled, has a nice digital temp display, and is very quick to heat up, I can pretty much turn it on and be soldering what I need in the time it takes me to fiddle with what I need to get ready to solder.

I mention it because I just soldered the new batteries into my IBM thinkpad battery pack. It is charging right now. The fujitsu lifebook B142 battery pack I did works okay. I got them from batteryspace.com but mistakenly ordered 18500 batteries instead of the 18650, they were cheaper and I didn't notice the item number difference, as it turns out they are the same diameter but shorter. I am using them anyway. Their rating is less at 1400mah per cell.
Not a big deal I hope.

Another thing, the total order was for 12 li-ion cells, I get them and before I make the pack I check the voltage, well 4 are under 2 volts. I do some research and it confirms what I already knew that under voltage li-ion batteries are no good. That is a bad thing. Anyway I call the company and they end up sending me 4 new cells. It works of for me even, but now I am wondering if the batteries are new old stock. Turns out li-ion are time sensitive, regardless of usage. Plus I wonder how many people make packs without checking the batteries.

No comments: