Started researching linux on laptops again. I don't have a time slot to do anything really in depth though.
I am trying live cd distros on a Toshiba Sattelite Pro 435CDS, I put in a hd that has windows 95 installed and it ran mostly ok, it had a problem that if left alone for a while would got into sleep to die mode, which required a restart.
Score Card for Distros on the Toshiba
DSL - Runs but really flakey
Ubuntu 6.06 - Does not make it to running
Win 95 ran pretty fast on it. Too bad it it is such a poor operating system.
Some useful links (hopefully)
Guide for music on old laptops
Making a boot disk for old computers that wont boot from the cd rom because of bios limitations.
Smart Disk Manager on sourceforge, I downloaded sbminst.exe
I had to run it from the command prompt and it copied to floppy is seconds.
It booted cdrom fine. Ubuntu 6.06 ran wierd though and died with strange blocky large character, Tried DSL (Damn Small Linux)It made it to the main screen, but was flakey.
Thursday, May 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Try Puppy Linux. I go that to work on my Thinkpad A22e when nothing else did.
Post a Comment